09 April, 2006

Wednesday 5th


A trip to London had to include a visit to Hampstead Heath where I had lived when I was five - some thirty or so years ago .... The same No 24 bus still ran so we caught it and again sat upstairs at the front .... Although obviously alot had changed I still easily recognised where we use to live - above my grandfathers shop at 3 South End Road. The shop fronts had all changed and the residences above shop 3 and shop 5 had been converted into 5 flats. The old fountain across the road was still there as were many of the other buildings.

We walked up Pond Street, past the hospital to my old school. The big stone wall with embedded broken glass in the top was gone but the school was still there. We then walked back and along South End Road to the edge of Hampstead Heath. My continuing bout of flu stopped me going much further ....



Following our trip around Hampstead we returned to explore the city for the remainder of the day ......
This included Big Ben, a tour of Westminster Abbey (which is full of dead people!), Downing Street and a couple more railway stations.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?